Monday, April 5, 2010

godly friendships



"The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray." Proverbs 12:26


"He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed." Proverbs 13:20


"Do not be deceived: 'Evil company corrupts good habits.' Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame." 1 Corinthians 15:33-34


I have recently learned that friendship and fellowship with other Christians is very important. Many of my friends at school are not Christians and this creates a big problem. I am by no means perfect but these friendships are not positive and only drag me down and tempt me. They say nasty things to me at times and contibute to my desire to gossip. They curse, get drunk and go out to clubs. The more I hear about these things the more they seem appealing but the Bible says "Do not give the devil a foothold." (Eph 4:27) The Bible also says "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.. (2 Cor 6:14) Alas, I am nearing the end of my senior year so I almost feel like it is too late. How can I find new friends right before I graduate? I think the best solution for me is to hang out with my friends in the youth group more. I want to surround myself with my Christian friends. They help me to stay focused on God and our conversations are more constructive. We are all part of the same body and have the same morals and ideals. As humans we sometimes tend to follow a herd mentality-which is that we base our decisions off of the actions of others. Researchers determined that it only takes a minority of just five per cent to influence a crowd’s direction – and that the other 95 per cent follow blindly.* Which way do you want to be led? Towards Christ or away from Him?


"For narrow is the gate, and straitened the way, that leadeth unto life, and few are they that find it" (Matt 7:14)


“...for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.” (Luke 13:24)




2 comments:

  1. Schy, Thank you so much for your comment!!!
    I hope it will be a blessing to you!
    Very good post by the way! It can be really hard to find a sister who belives some of the same things as you or won't lead you to do things you know are wrong. But when you do find one they are such a blessing!
    Keep up the great posts!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, our lover and friend Jesus had no where to lay his head on earth...and yes, oh yes out of his innermost being rivers of life flowed. He is that river of life, he is in you... uphold that friendship always as you embrace new ones and let other ones go! I understand your apprenhensions concerning entering college, this very normal, learn to embrace these feelings as your friend too!

    ReplyDelete