Tuesday, April 6, 2010

college



I want to go to school to become a certified nurse midwife. I am not altogether sure that this is
"By 2015, all new advanced practice nurses will need to have a DNP for certification. Those of us in practice before that date will not be required to get the degree; we will be grandfathered in."

I thought midwifery would be really great field but their aren't any specialty schools near my home. I would have to get my BSN, then my MSN (in another state) and now a DNP. It is overwhelming to think about especially since I only wanted a 4 year degree. I really thought that I could bless God's kingdom with a nursing and midwifery degree especially on mission trips. I want to get a degree that I can use to bless my family and God's kingdom so I am thinking of hospitality, Spanish, education, L&D nurse (instead of midwife), and dietitian amongst many other options. In Philippians 4:6 we are commanded, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” I am really trying to work on this. I know God& the Word will help me to discern which path to take. I can be such a worry-wart but I know that the more I mature into my faith I will cast my cares upon HIM increasingly.

4 comments:

  1. I want to comfort you: Often we think of godliness in moral terms, your anxiety may actually be your creativity trying to find the way. God is a creator. Your desire for midwifery is admirable..,slow down.. find a women near by who is serving in this capacity without the interference of young children and a young married life to learn. In this way you can save alot of hardache going here and there to do this or that and never hit hard the skills you are really after. Just some thoughts.., I spent 5 years going to a reputable university, but it was not until I put my hand to the plow that I learned the skills of being a female created in the image of God: and I'm still learning this at age 48!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schy, I totally understand how you feel! It can be so hard to know what to do and what not to do. The best things you can do is pray about it and also get your parents in on it.(or maybe also a close friend who is a christian and will be with you and pray for you) Laying down all of your wishes and dreams to the Lord is the very best thing to do. Sometimes when I make a decision, I make it to fast and then it doesn't work out very well. But if I put it before the Lord (and be patient!) He will help me know what way to go.
    I will be praying for you sister!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment!! I LOVE getting mail too. :)
    I'm studying to be a doula with Childbirth International www.childbirthinternational.com
    I can do all the textbook studying on the internet, I have to write several papers and turn them into my instructor, I also have to read several books and I have to attend two births to become certified.
    What school are you thinking about studying with?
    I know it can be hard to know what to do after school. But being a midwife or a doula etc. is a great profession! You can take it on to a mission field or even just use the skills to help the people around you!
    I'd love to hear more about what school you are wanting to go to and also more about your thoughts and dreams on being a midwife!
    Don't lose heart sister!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Schy!
    I just wanted to let you know that I just tagged you on my blog!
    Go to sharinghislove-laura.blogspot.com
    Can wait to see your answers!!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete